Dental prosthetics are highly recommended to patients who have lost teeth. Whether patients have lost teeth due to disease, decay, or from extraction, it is essential that they work with their dentist to discuss possible replacement options. Dr. Darren Gonzalez and his team in Santa Rosa, CA can help patients understand the importance of replacing these teeth as soon as possible and the consequences that may occur if they don’t.
The impact of missing teeth
There are many complications that can occur if you fail to replace teeth that are lost or extracted. Below are just a few of the situations that might occur:
- Remaining teeth may shift. To keep the teeth aligned, they naturally push against each other. If a tooth is missing, it can cause the balance to shift and result in the formation of gaps and spaces between the remaining teeth in the dental arch.
- Facial shape may change. When you lose a tooth, the bone of the jaw will deteriorate causing a change in facial shape.
- Poor eating and speaking efficiency. Lost teeth can make it difficult to speak clearly and properly chew to digest food.
- Appearance. Many patients are embarrassed by the appearance of their smile after tooth loss, which in turn can affect their self-confidence.
- Formation of TMJ disorder. The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, is the jaw joint that hinges the upper and lower jaw. If teeth are lost and the muscles in this area change, the joint may malfunction and result in extreme pain and chronic problems associated with TMD, or TMJ disorder.
What tooth replacement options are available?
The number of teeth missing, the budget of the patient, and the longevity of the replacement will determine which restoration is chosen by an individual to replace the missing teeth in their smiles. We offer dentures, bridges, and implants for tooth replacement and can help patients choose the option most appropriate for their smiles.
Call Dr. Darren Gonzalez and his team today
If you need clarification on the benefits of replacing missing or extracted teeth, Dr. Darren Gonzalez of Santa Rosa, CA can assist in educating you about your options. Call his office at (707) 542-1532 and request a visit at 1515 Montgomery Drive.