Having a tooth extracted is never a pleasant experience. After your tooth is removed, you will need to take several steps to help you recover quickly and heal without any problems. If you have questions about the post-op instructions we have provided or if you want to schedule another appointment with Dr. Darren Gonzalez, our caring dentist in Santa Rosa, California, please contact our office at 707-542-1532. We will be happy to provide you with additional information.
After your tooth has been extracted, you can expect a healing period of one to two weeks. You will probably experience some swelling and discomfort for the first 48 hours after the extraction. During this period, we recommend that you:
- Avoid chewing for at least two hours, or until the anesthetic wears off
- Use an ice pack or cold compress to decrease swelling
- Do not touch the extraction site
- Do not drink through a straw
- Do not swish and spit vigorously
- Try to avoid blowing through your nose or sneezing violently
- Do not rinse out your mouth the day following the surgery
- Relax as much as possible and avoid strenuous activities for the first 24 hours after the extraction
- Keep your head elevated
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products for several days following the extraction
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours
You can manage pain with mild pain relieving medications. If you experience persistent bleeding or pain, please contact our office.