After you have dental implants placed by our Santa Rosa, CA area dentist, it is vital that you take proper care of your new investment. Once the implants have bene placed during oral surgery with a trained and experienced professional at the practice of Dr. Darren Gonzalez, they will remain in place for a lifetime if you take the right steps in caring for the smile. Our dentist educates patients on aftercare instructions for their dental implants to ensure they last many, many years!
Ways to protect your dental implants
Taking good care of your dental implants will reduce the risk of complications and problems that can arise. Below are just a few of the tips and recommendations from our dentist, Dr. Darren Gonzalez, of Santa Rosa, CA to maintain implants for longer:
- Brush after every meal. Using a soft-bristled brush and a fluoride-based toothpaste, you should brush your teeth after each meal and snack. This removes food particles from the surfaces of the teeth that can bind with bacteria and result in the development of plaque, tartar, and calculus.
- Floss at least once a day. Flossing removes food particles that can become trapped between the teeth and contribute to decay and diseases. Most patients will floss at night before they go to bed.
- Attend all scheduled dental appointments. Patients should be diligent about visiting their dentist as directed, at least every six months for cleanings and evaluations. This allows the dental team to monitor oral health and the dental restorations that are in place.
- Call with any concerns. Any time there is a change in your smile, it might be a good time to let your dentist know in the event it can cause the risk of failure of your implants.
- Eat proper foods after the placement of dental implants. Avoid hard, crunchy foods immediately after your implant has been placed, and instead ask your dentist about recommendations for food consumption following the procedure. Dental implants sometimes need a few weeks or months to become stabilized in place and strong enough to enjoy all your favorite foods!
Protect your investment today
If you have obtained dental implants and want to keep them for a lifetime, it is critical that you are prudent about caring for your smile every day! Santa Rosa, CA area patients who are interested in learning more about dental implants and their care are strongly encouraged to book an appointment with Dr. Darren Gonzalez. The office is located at 1515 Montgomery Drive and can be reached by phone to book an appointment at (707) 542-1532.